Monday, January 18, 2010

What the heck is "Pic 1 k"?????

I once read that one of my idols, Jim Morrison, used to conduct self interviews. I read some of them and it seems interesting. I’m going to do the same here but not to figure out my life’s purpose or to have a record of what it’s like to trip on LSD or something, but rather to explain the entire back story to Soft Whispers and the new programs. Those who have followed Soft Whispers since it started almost a year ago have seen some wild changes. Those who have followed me or know me know that I think fast, act fast, and always go big. With that said, I realize that sometimes my ideas always don’t convey out the way I want them to because I’m already working on the next project. Is it a flaw? Sure. Am I working on it? Sure. So let’s get down to business. When you jump over to the submissions page, you see a whole list of fun stuff. . . but my oh my, where to start? Well, first, the list is crazy because I want this publication to be different. I want it to be fun, exciting, and maybe a little challenging for those who submit to it. I personally believe the best creativity is the one you don’t expect to happen and my best example with that is Friday Flash. . . the phemon that occurs every Friday. Write a flash story and post it, Tweet it, and read ‘em all. It’s creativity at its best and stirs everything up. . . I couldn’t imagine my life without it. AND I have had some of my Friday Flash stories published which is an even better feeling! Let’s look at the program called Pic 1 k: What is it? The simple way to explain it: A picture is posted on the 1st of the month. You write a story 1,000 words or less about the picture and submit it by the 20th of the month. Where did the idea come from? It came from the old saying “A picture is worth a thousand words”. . . my challenge? PROVE IT! You look at a picture and think of the story behind it. How cool is that? Not to mention the fact that different people will see different things and write about different things. How many stories will you publish each month? The top four stories will be published on the blog. The top two will be published in the issue. AND the top story will receive an interview with the author. It may not be much, but come on, it’s something! :) How should someone submit? Send the story to softwhisperssubmissions@gmail.com with Pic 1 k in the subject line. PLEASE throw in a SHORT bio and we will respond as quick as we can. So why should someone bother with this? Because I said so! J But in reality, it’s just a fun little program to participate in and is another chance to get something out there – to get something seen – to get something published. . . and it’s just a little more practice for your writing. Final thoughts? Check out the picture for this month’s Pic 1 k and see what happens. If you get an idea, run with it. If not, check back next month. Ultimately I would like to have my inbox swimming with stories. . . and then I’ll probably add more published ones to the site and the publication because I hate to send something away. Oh, and finally, if you have a question about this or anything that we’re doing on Soft Whispers. . . email us at softwhisperssubmissions@gmail.com!

No comments: