Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Father

by V.J. Maddox Listen closely - Father. Your ears must be bleeding... At the shear intensity, Of all the things I'm pleading. Look at me! I'm over here... And yes, I've grown up fast. What do you remember, Father? When you look back at our past? Teaching me to play piano? And tucking me in bed? More vivid are the beer bottles, And all the harsh words said. Can you really be that ignorant? ...It really must be bliss. To shake off responsibilities, And not care what you'll miss. Every holiday - Every birthday... Who will walk me down the aisle? Father, if you think it's you, ...Then I pity your denial. One last thing for you, my father. I hope it kills you to have learned, Never again will I call you "Daddy" That kind of love... you haven't earned.

1 comment:

Cynthia Schuerr said...

Very powerful emotions and beautifully written. I can feel the resentment. Awesome!