Monday, May 24, 2010

Toxic Love

by Mike Berger Looking back--- when did our love turn toxic? I should have known it wouldn't work out. She was fun and giddy but without any substance. Drawn to her and her coquettish ways, I fell in love with a wisp of smoke. Those flashing eyes now drip hate. She doesn't talk any more; she snarls. She detests it when I read. She must be the center of attention. There are things in this world beyond the mental cubicle where she resides. Blinded by a desire to have her, I couldn't see that the whole world revolved around her. It was I, I, I and never we. I refuse to fight anymore, so I'll turn and walk away.

2 comments:

Cat Russell said...

Incredibly powerful poem. Loved the line about falling for a wisp of smoke... seems the perfect imagery. Wonderful.

Cynthia Schuerr said...

Yes, the 'best behavior' of early dating and then emerges the 'monster'. All too often, that will happen and leave you empty again.

I also love 'a wisp of smoke'. It speaks to a sense of loss very well.

I dislike selfish people. The I, I, I kind of people.

Awesome poetry, Mike!