Friday, April 23, 2010

Poets

by Maria Kelly Poets are like magicians that pull verses out of the air like bouquets, each one as lovely and fragrant as a flower Poets are like mothers in labor to deliver inky black lines; their twitching hands like wombs, birthing rhymes. Poets are both teachers and students of life; their subjects are love and loss and sorrow and joy and strife. Poets are like oysters and their poems are like pearls; the words they hold in their souls change not themselves, but the world. They are all these things, and more, though they may not know it. You can be whatever you like, but for me: I think I’ll be a poet.

3 comments:

Becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca said...

That was sweet, beautiful, and TRUE! Just reading it made me proud to be a poet!

~becca

Joz Varlo said...

Thanks, Becca! I'm glad you liked it.