Monday, April 5, 2010

And the winner for March 2010 Pic 1 k is. . .

Michelle Dennis Evans!
Her story titled SULLEN has been declared March's winner. And now Michelle took a few minutes to talk to me:
What was the inspiration for the story (besides the picture)?
A couple of days before I wrote this, a friend found a girl collapsed in the toilets at a shopping centre, my friend alerted paramedics and security just in time. Girls and women who are suffering are often on my mind. I love to see women move from life of despair and depression to a life of joy and happiness. It’s one of the reasons why I’m doing the ‘Live Free’ 5 km walk for Teen Challenge, to raise money to build a home for young women recovering from life changing circumstances. I’d love more sponsors … there’s a donation box on my blog http://michelledevans.blogspot.com/2010/03/live-free-walk-please-sponsor.html
How long did it take to write the story?
15 minutes max!
Did you know the story would be so short or did it just happen?
After I wrote the first 3 sentences story wrote it self and I was a little shocked that it ended so quickly and had so much mystery. Truth is I really don’t know what had happened to this woman – I just felt her pain.
Do you have anything else published?
After 6 years of studying and fine tuning my craft I declared 2010 as my year of getting published. My story ‘9 Ladies Dancing’ was published in 12 Days plus my regular poetry spot here on Soft Whispers. I have 2 stories about to be published, ‘River Storm’ in The Best of 2009 FridayFlash Anthology, and ‘DIVE!’ in the April edition of Eclectic Flash.
What are your plans for 2010?
I have so many plans! I hope to finish editing my 2009 NaNoWriMo novel and submit it. I’m anticipating acceptance letters arriving soon, writing, lots of writing, while I balance study, home educating 4 children, family, church commitments and hubby.

4 comments:

Marisa Birns said...

Congrats, Michelle!

Good to know more about you here, and best wishes on your future projects.

Laura Eno said...

Congrats and the best of luck to you in your 2010 writing projects!

Cynthia Schuerr said...

So wonderful for you, Michelle. Too bad the inspiration for a story, sometimes comes from the pain of another. However, that is the
sign of a very compassionate person, in my opinion.

Joanne said...

Congrats on being the March winner, Michelle! And thanks for sharing your thoughts here. Don't you love it when a story takes off and pretty much writes itself? It's a good place to be.