Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Heavy Memories

by V.J. Maddox You don't even know me. I kinda thought you would... Because if you really loved me, Well then, you really should. It's not hard to know me - I'll truly answer anything. But you never tried, and now... I'm forced to fly with broken wings. I learned about you the hard way - But I did it, all the same. I saw pieces of you, corrupted... The way I saw you changed forever - Weighed down heavily with shame. I tried to stop the downfall... But you, pushed me away. You blocked out every plea I made. You just didn't want to stay. I don't think it sank in... Alone, surrounded by drugs, bottles of booze. Not until the very end - All the things that they made you lose. So every year I visit... Sometimes I wonder why I go. But I lay the flowers on the ground. For my father. I'm the daughter he will never know.

2 comments:

Cynthia Schuerr said...

This is definitely a 'two hankie' poem, as they'd say back in the day.

V.J. this is riveting and poignant and so very emotional and.....beautiful!

Sam W said...

Great way with words! I can, as I'm sure many others can, relate to this in one way or another. In the end, it IS their loss.