Tuesday, February 16, 2010

This

by Carrie Clevenger I am a box of paradox so hard to be free gracefully to be who I am the lion eats the lamb and I see a peaceful eternity I am not money but power in each and every torturous hour a simple inoculation of revelation into the center of my gravity It’s hard to be mean as me and yet still have a heart. I’ll bet you never knew that I could kill so very kindly and that those words could tear apart your stolid beliefs A definite electrocution of pointed and repeated persecution A new disposition on my limited edition A snide remark played out between the sheets of music and me the worst drama queen I know you’ve never seen Someone as quite as contradictory and extraordinary as me. an apparition bestowed upon a grateful mind A perfect find to highlight an otherwise grey-streaked day— I don’t come any other way.

8 comments:

Jim Bronyaur said...

Carrie,

This is beyond awesome!

I love the person feel of it and it really speaks to me. It's a masochist's happiness or something here and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Thanks for sharing,

Jim

Kait Nolan said...

That perfectly encapsulates the particular ability of southern women to cut others off at the knees with a smile. Awesomeness.

EC said...

Great tempo and language-to me, it speaks of mother nature, ravenous, contradictory, and no, not mean, but heartless just the same.
Well done.

Cynthia Schuerr said...

Oooh! Carrie, very passive aggressive behavior going on here.
"I don't come any other way"
I love it!

Laura Eno said...

I think the last line says it all. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Loved it - wonderful poem :)

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Carrie, you've been reading my mail. None of us are one-dimensional cardboard cut-outs, thank god, and your poem speaks to me about that with sassy straightforwardness.
OK, seriously? You can stop being this good anytime now...

Marisa Birns said...

Contradictory and extraordinary are pretty good things to be :)

Congrats! Another excellent example of your awesome writing skills!