Monday, June 7, 2010

1st Place Pic 1 k winner is... Kelly Stapleton

This is the first time I've read her work... and wow, what a great story!  Here is the interview with Kelly:

Besides the picture, what was the inspiration for the story?
Every silly boy I tried to impress when I was young and stupid.

How long did it take you to write?
The first draft took a couple of hours. I did revisions on and off for two weeks. I'm a compulsive story tweaker -- I never think the story is good enough, and I only stop revising when I get sick of looking at it.

Where else have you been published?
Tattoo Highway, Fiction at Work, Colored Chalk, and Tomlit Quarterly.

Where can Soft Whispers readers find you on the internet? (site, Twitter, etc.)
I'm on Twitter @kelly_stapleton. I blog at http://www.kellystapleton.blogspot.com/ and I promise to start updating it more often!

What's your favorite kind of ice cream?
Chocolate chip cookie dough.

What's your favorite pizza topping?
Tomatoes and spinach.

What are you plans for 2010?
I plan to work on more flash fiction and finish the novel I started during NaNoWriMo 2009.

What was your first story you ever wrote?
It was called Pillows, but my creative writing teacher made me change the title because she thought the word pillows gave the ending away. It was about a girl whose mother puts a hit out on her. Worst story ever. I live in fear of someone resurrecting it just to embarrass me if I ever become famous.

When?

My senior year of high school.

To read Kelly's winning story, THE BARN DOOR, click to read Issue Five of Soft Whispers!

1 comment:

Cynthia Schuerr said...

Kelly, Congratulations on your 1st place win. I enjoyed the story very much and welcome to Soft Whispers. :-)