Monday, October 18, 2010

Lights Out...

...by James Conway

(day 1 of 5 for feature week!)

I lock the door behind me, privacy aplenty.


No Angels welcome here, only the demon from within.

I turn the tap, a loud hiss arguing against it's will.

Warmth of the water fills the room.



Reflecting into the mirror like yesterdays past, I see nothing I care for today.

Eons pass while the tomb fills up completely.

I wait.

One last drag from the cigarette, my only honest friend at this hour.

Time for bravery to take the call, no more failed promises.

No more waiting.



Steam releases toward the ceiling.

Stupid tears fall's from blackness within.

A window fogs up, God wants no part in this.

The metal feels hot between my fevering and cursed fingers.



The silence is almost deafening apart from the beat in my chest, which pleas for mercy.

Surprisingly, pain is minimal, nothing like I would imagine.

Warm ribbons of red roll down the last of my mortality, licking at my fingers



I match the other, as dozen's of streams run down in race.

Bombs drop forth and splash into the coffin, flowering like crimson rose's.

I close my eyes, slide deeper into the fading warmth

The amber from the cigarette goes out

I follow.

4 comments:

Cat Russell said...

That was incredible. Well written. Very vivid and moving.

JamesGC said...

Thank you, Ganymeder. Your comment is very welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and what is to come.

Becca said...

You are talented. ;)

~Bec

Claudette Young said...

So much symbolism. So much thought. Excellent trip through the fires. May your work find many homes.

Claudsy